Monday, January 17, 2011

Recent Drawing....

..... "It took me like 3 hours to shade the upper lip" :) (name that movie)
For a long time Patrick has wanted me to draw a picture of how I envision Christ to look. He has mentioned it on a number of occasions, but I have always put it off for a number of reasons. First of all, how intimidating is it to try and draw the Savior?? Mr. Perfect? Like I wanted to take the chance of not doing Him justice. Secondly, I am a very harsh critic when it comes to pictures done of Christ, so naturally I knew I would be just as harsh on my own. There are only a few pictures I actually like of Him, so I didn't want mine to be added to the "dislike" pictures.
Well I finally decided to stop putting it off and to at least try a rough draft. Seeing how Christmas was coming up I decided it would be the best time to focus on drawing Christ. There was a slow day at work and I had my sketch pad with me. So I started this picture out by using a mechanical pencil (big mistake, I know) so it was hard to hide that fact later on. Anyway, I ended up finishing this at home with some better lighting than inside the mobile unit. It was kind of ironic that I ended up using drawing materials he bought me years ago when he found out I was into art. It ended up coming in handy afterall :) So here is the final product of my rough draft (yes, I realize the many flaws and know what I want to fix for the final):

The two main things I wanted to focus on were His eyes and smile. I wanted his eyes to be full of light, because He is our light. I wanted him to have a smile (not a creepy one showing his teeth- I HATE those ones, but I didn't want a creeper smile either...more difficult to do than you would think!). I just feel like so many times artists depict Jesus as this very somber, serious, non-smiling man. To me I would like to think that He is very inviting, personable, and happy. Anyway, I could go off on my opinions but I'll end my little soap box there.

Zoomed out. I had to include my easel because it means a lot to me. My Grandpa Guest is an amazing artist. He also can build anything he puts his mind to. He knew I was into art of all kinds and built me this easel to make it easier for me. It has made such a difference! He is an Engineer so he made all these little gadgets on it so I can fit any kind of size of paper and tilt it as much or as little as my heart desires. I love it. And I love my Grandpa, one of the coolest men I have ever known!
Different lighting, a little dark...
Well, there ya have it. Open to critiques

2 comments:

  1. I forget how talented you are. It always makes me crazy when our Heavenly Father gives someone more than one amazing talent...and with you, he for sure did that! What aren't you good at?!! Geesh!!!! Amazing drawing.

    Ok, so here's my critique! Don't get mad...oh boy, I bet you're nervous now! LOL! When I saw this drawing, the first thing I thought of was Patrick. I think it looks just like him (from the lips down at least). I thought maybe I was seeing things so I showed Jake and he said two things "Wow, this is amazing drawing...and it looks just like Patrick"

    So, are you mad? I'm sure that's not the critique you were looking for! Hey, that's not a bad thing...it's hard not to express yourself unknowingly through art when you have certain feelings that aren't expressible any other way (deep, I know :) Anyway, hope you're not mad at my comment! I love it...and love ya ;) (ps maybe I should've emailed this comment to you instead...you can delete it if you'd like!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya.... This doesn't look like Pete at all. It is soooo beautiful! You are seriously so talent sister. Sometimes I forget that you are a artist, and I am in awe when I see some of your work! You are one of the most talented and smartest girls I know. I love you!

    ReplyDelete