Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Carma is Real!

A week before Christmas I had a cancer patient. For HIPPA reasons I won't get too detailed, but he was around my dad's age. I was striking conversation as I was starting an IV on him and I asked him if he had any fun Christmas plans. His response was, "No, I have been alone for so long that it is just another day for me." He has been single since the 90's and has no children or any other extended family. He has felt too sick to date since then and then had a heart attack 2 months after he was forced to retire due to his health. He had a bad migraine that day and also mentioned how he probably had one foot in the grave anyway. Hearing all of this hit me really hard. Here there is this fairly young man who is living completely alone, and has for many years.
After work he was still on my mind. So I decided to send him a Christmas package. He was diabetic (like many patients) so I got him some sugar free goodies and got some headache meds (for any other attacks he may have) and gave him a card saying Christmas shouldn't just be another day to anyone and wished him "Many many more Merry Christmases" and told him it was because I like to think positively that he DOES have more. I wrote more stuff but don't feel it necessary to share.
Anyway, a week went by and I was at work. Our work day was a disaster with many different things going wrong, including very difficult patients to deal with. Both my coworker and I were both getting really frazzled and were both ready for the day to be over with, but still had quite a bit to go. I was almost to my "snapping" point when there was a knock on the trailer door with my former patient! He came to bring me a little Christmas gift and to thank me for brightening his day. It couldn't have come at a better time! Here is a picture of the gift package:
It's like he has known me forever because the mug says, "Gimme some sugar!" And everyone knows how much I love sugar. The card says:
ONE SEED- can start a garden
ONE SMILE- Can lift a spirit
ONE CANDLE- can light a room
ONE CONVERSATION- can start a friendship
ONE PERSON- can make all the difference, that one is YOU
I invited him in to visit and he updated me on some results of the scan. He then gave me a hug then had to leave. But seriously good carma couldn't have happened at a better time. It was what I needed to keep going that day at work and to not snap at my ornery patient :) (don't worry, I haven't ever snapped...yet anyway). Well this story probably isn't cool to anyone else but me. But it is still comforting to know that carma still has it's way of coming around when you need it!

5 comments:

  1. I knew there was a good reason I liked you!!!! That is an amazing story and it actually made me cry! I love heart warming stories like that! Jake always tells me that I should start my own news channel with nothing but good, heart warming stories cuz I just HATE hearing bad things! You are awesome! Thanks for sharing that story...it helped remind me that there still is good in the world, with really amazing people!!!!

    And honestly, the best part about this story is that I know you didn't post it to brag about yourself! That's just the kind of person you are; a good, caring person! I really could go on and on if you'd like me too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so touching to me!!! It really made me realize what I have done lately and to not get so caught up in my little world! I love stories like this. So sweet and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi this was an awesome story! I may have started tearing up.. :) But thanks for sharing! You're an amazing example. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do...from both of you. Thanks for sharing, it helps remind me to keep others in mind as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the best service stories...it inspirtes me to be better.

    ReplyDelete